I have called the Sacramento region home for about 70% of my life and I am thrilled to be able to share my favorite places, fun events and links for more information. While I couldn't possibly create an exhaustive list of every reason the Sacramento Valley is a fun place to be, I'm convinced that this list is enough to get you started. I hope to see you around town!
Eats + Drinks
The restaurant scene has grown exponentially over the last 10 years and Sacramento is finally getting to shine under its recent designation as America's Farm-to-Fork Capital. Bottom line: if you go hungry during your visit to the Sacramento Valley, you're doing it wrong.
These are just a few of my favorite places in and around Sacramento (not all are in the city of Sacramento) to grab a bite, enjoy a cocktail or get your caffeine fix. They are in no particular order and please note that the list goes on (and on). If you ever need more recommendations, just ask.
- Hook & Ladder
- Fox & Goose
- Ambrosia Cafe
- Cafeteria 15L
- Estelle's Patisserie
- Mikuni Sushi
- Tower Cafe
- Cafe Rolle
- Mulvaney's B & L
- Red Rabbit Kitchen & Bar
- Dawson's at the Hyatt
- Grange Restaurant & Bar
- Streets of London
- Golden Bear
- Rio City Cafe
- Blackbird Kitchen & Beer Gallery
- deVere's Irish Pub
- Hot Italian
- Ella Dining Room & Bar
- Broderick Roadhouse
- Ginger Elizabeth Chocolates
- Putah Creek Cafe
- Temple Coffee & Tea
- Old Soul Co.
- The Mill
I tend to steer clear of malls these days, but there is plenty of shopping to be had in the various cities, towns and neighborhoods around the Sacramento region.
- Old Sacramento
- Downtown Sacramento
- Midtown Sacramento
- Downtown Davis
- Downtown Roseville
- Folsom Historic District
If you're looking to purchase delicious, locally grown and produced goodies, I suggest checking out these spots first:
Much of our outdoor fun revolves around water here in the Sacramento Valley. Hiking trails abound around many of these areas, particularly in the foothills.
- Folsom Lake Recreation Area
- Jenkinson Lake
- Sacramento River
- American River
- Lake Berryessa
- Putah Creek State Wildlife Area
I've also blogged about some of my local(ish) outdoor adventures:
- Go Outside: 5 Places to Take a Walk in Sacramento, California
- Looking on the Bright Side: A Hike in Stebbins Cold Canyon Reserve
- Snowshoeing in Donner Memorial State Park
- Photo Essay: Hank's First Snow Day (ie: snowshoeing along a dog-friendly trail in Eldorado National Forest)
Events + Gatherings + Shows + Theaters
It's hard to know exactly where to start! It seems like new events and shows keep popping up throughout the city and I can hardly keep up. I'm listing just a handful of my favorites that take place annually and during various parts of the year. The websites listed under 'For More Information' below are also great resources if you're in town and looking for something to do.
- Friday Night Concerts in the Park
- TBD Fest
- Sacramento Burger Battle
- Farm-to-Fork Month
- Second Saturday Art Walk
- Gold Rush Days
- Grape Escape
- Pops in the Park
- Apple Hill
- Theatre of Lights
- Downtown Ice Rink
- Dine Downtown Restaurant Week
- GOOD Street Food + Design Market
- Sizzling Sirens Burlesque
- Esquire IMAX Theatre
- California Musical Theatre
If you need a place to get a little work done, the Sacramento area has several great coworking spaces available.
Need inspiration? I've blogged about a few local creatives who are doing their thing in the Sacramento area and loving it.
- Creating Your Own Path: Brian Schmitt
- Creating Your Own Path: Nicholas Wray
- Creating Your Own Path: Adrienne Cheng
- Creating Your Own Path - Episode 1 - Janna Marlies Maron & Jeremy Maron
- Creating Your Own Path - Episode 3 - Melissa Camilleri
- Creating Your Own Path - Episode 6 - Marvin Maldonado
- Creating Your Own Path - Episode 8 - Sofia Lacin + Hennessy Christophel
- Creating Your Own Path - Episode 9 - Maritza + Roshaun Davis
- Creating Your Own Path - Episode 10 - Steven Tiller
- Creating Your Own Path - Episode 11 - Kristin deNeeve
- Creating Your Own Path - Episode 14 - Rob Stewart
- Creating Your Own Path - Episode 15 - Kat Alves
- Creating Your Own Path - Episode 16 - Preston Tillotson + Tyler Robinson
I was not comped or paid to create this guide. I just love sharing this type of information and hope you'll find it useful.